Kampala International University (KIU) is a private multi-campus university in Uganda, the third-largest economy in East Africa.
Kampala International University has its main campus at Kansanga, a location in Makindye Division, in the southeastern part of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This location is approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), southeast of Kampala's central business district, along the road to Ggaba. The coordinates of the university's main campus are:0°17'41.0"N, 32°36'13.0"E (Latitude:0.294722; Longitude:32.603611). KIU's second campus is located in Ishaka, in Bushenyi District, approximately 360 kilometres (220 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala. The university maintains a third campus, the KIU Dar es Salaam Constituent College, in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
Kampala International University was founded in 2001. It received its University Charterer in March 2009. In August 2009, KIU was ranked 58th among African Universities and 6,510th among International Universities by Webometrics.
Academic Colleges, Schools and Institutes
- KIU Main Campus has four constituent colleges and two schools
- College of Education, Open and Distance Learning
- College of Computing and Information Technology
- College of Higher Degrees and Research
- College of Professional and Extramural Studies
- School of Law
- School of Economics and Management
This is the largest of the three campuses, hosting in excess of 7,000 students and over 300 academic staff. The academic programs on offer at this and other campuses of the university are detailed at the university website - http://www.kiu.ac.ug/
- KIU Western Campus - http://shs.kiu.ac.ug/
- The Western Campus of KIU is located in the town of Ishaka, in Bushenyi District, western Uganda. Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs are offered at the western campus. The western campus is predominantly a science based institution. The Western Campus of KIU has a student population of over 3,000. The School of Health Sciences of KIU is located on the western campus. The School is one of Uganda's seven medical school, and was the first privately-owned medical school in the country. The university has built a state of the art teaching hospital with a bed capacity of 1,200
Kampala International University Dar es Salaam College
The college is housed a 100 acres (40 ha) piece of real estate at Gongolamboto area in Ilala District, along Pugu Road, approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), from Julius Nyerere International Airport.